Monday, April 1, 2013

Pattern Play - Day 1

WINNERS OF MY FAVORITE THINGS STAMP SETS:
Only 4 people commented which was their favorite card and why by the Saturday deadline, so you are ALL winners - Congratulations!

rscholz - voted for card #2
Susan - voted for card #1
Jennifer Scull - voted for card #2
Linda - voted for card #2

My favorite layout was actually card #3, but Linda made a valid point.  With the image so close to the top of the card, it looks like that's why the lady is headless.  The winner was card #2!

You will each receive a "headless" stamp set courtesy of My Favorite Things and Operation Write Home.  Just email your mailing address to allison (at) operationwritehome (dot) org!

PATTERN PLAY - DAY 1

From March 18-March 22 I was enrolled in a class called Pattern Play at Online Card Classes.  The last time I did an Online Card Classes class (Holiday Card Bootcamp 2011), I didn't play along.  However, the class is open to me FOREVER and I printed and bound the PDFs into a book, so it's not too late.

This time I was determined that I would follow through.  I wasn't able to play along each day, but I caught up by making all the cards the weekend after the class ended.  If you are interested, you can take the class even though the interactive portion has ended.  I may go back and take some other ones, especially the two Clean & Simple classes.  I'd really like to get better at the Clean & Simple design style.  So, EVERY DAY this week I will be showing you the cards I made from each day of the class.  I would LOVE your feedback - Let me what you think!

Day 1 was dedicated to some basic concepts like choosing a large, medium and tone-on-tone pattern to mix together.  Here's my paper combo for my first set of cards.  My goal in this class is to mix patterns from different companies. (Anyone can combine patterns from the same collection!  That's what I've been doing for years.)  The two red papers are from Authentique's Glory collection and the two blues are from We R Memory Keepers Yankee Doodles.

I decided to do a version of Jennifer McGuire's cards that used heart shaped dies and several different techniques to "break up" the patterns.  I chose to use stars instead.

I love this banner but didn't use it on all the cards like Jennifer did because I made smaller cards.  She used 5 x 5 inch patterned paper and I used 4 x 4.  My banner seemed to overwhelm my smaller cards.
Papertrey Ink banner die, Hero Arts Year Round Sentiments







This one was my favorite card because it uses dimensional adhesive to create 
the "separation" between the patterned papers.
Inspired Stamps 1" Circle Sentiments with SU! 3/4" circle punch

Inking edges to create boundaries between patterns
Inspired Stamps 1" Circle Sentiments and Tim Holtz Distress Ink fired brick


Inspired Stamps 1" Circle Sentiments and SU! 3/4" circle punch

4 comments:

  1. What a nice group of card...the banner card is my fave! tfs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should take this class. I'm not very good at mixing papers from different collections. You did a great job with these. I really like the one with the banner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cards. I took the class also and really enjoyed it. Haven't made any cards yet. Excited that I won! A nice birthday present. No fooling, my birthday is today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cards! The patterns and colors you chose all work wonderfully together! Well done!
    ~sandy
    visit my blog @ sandy's crafty creations

    ReplyDelete